DISCOVERING
LUPIAC VILLAGE
THE D'ARTAGNAN MUSEUM
OTHER HERITAGE

LUPIAC VILLAGE

  • Lupiac Village natal de d'Artagnan
  • Lupiac le clocher de l'église
  • Le Château Castelmore
  • Statue-équestre-d'Artagnan-Lupiac
  • Festival  d'Artagnan 2016
  • Musée d'Artagnan extérieur
  • Musée d'Artagnan
  • Lupiac- La chapelle Pujos
  • Quelques oies
  • Dans le village de Lupiac
  • La campagne environnante
  • Moulin Faubourg Saint-Jacques
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Lupiac was founded and fortified by Comte Odon de Lomagne in 1090 and then became on of the oldest “castelnaux” in Gascony. The fortification comprised a chateau, now disappeared, but which probably occupied the site of the present central square, and a vast oval enceinte of which there still remain traces. In the 15th century the barony of Lupiac passed into the possessions of Jean V, Comte d'Armagnac.

At the beginning of the 16th century we know that Lupiac was an important fortress thanks to its enceinte, its ditches as well as its gates armed with portcullises and battlemented towers. In 1754, Lupiac was the site of an archbishopric and owned ten churches and four domestic chapels in its area.

During the Revolution , in 1789, Lupiac was the chief town of the canton. Several churches were sold and demolished and the stones recovered: The big square tower in the centre which served as a prison was demolished.
At the beginning of the 20th century, Lupiac was an busy city. One could find all the trades needed at the time (blacksmith, cooper, doctor, shoemaker, carpenter, hairdresser, grocer....).

Today, a village of 300 inhabitants, Lupiac welcomes you round its equestrian statue of d'Artagnan, inaugurated on 9 August 2015, and its historic heart bounded by half-timbered houses.

THE D'ARTAGNAN MUSEUM

Musée d'Artagnan - intérieur
Musée d'Artagnan - Salle
The d'Artagnan Museum invites you to dive into the 17th century in the company of the Musketeers and d'Artagnan. Beware!
Come to discover the real life of d'Artagnan, he who left his village of Lupiac, around 1613 to become Captain of Musketeers, close friend of Louis XIV and later....A legend! An hour's visit with an audio guide takes you through a audio and visual experience. Numerous documents and reproductions of works evoke the real history of d'Artagnan as well as his historic context.
A little plus for the family: a game-leaflet for the children. Pencil in hand and eyes wide open, leave for the adventure of the Musketeers!

Unaccompagnied visit
• with audio guide (French / English)
• written guide (French / English / German / Dutch)

On the spot: Souvenir shop, free parking, toilets, park.

OPENING HOURS
July and August: every day 10.30 - 19.00 ( Last ticket sold at 18.00)
September: every day except Monday 10.30 - 18.00 (Last ticket sold at 17.00)
mid March - 30 June and 1 October - mid November: every day except Monday 14.00 - 18.00 (Last ticket sold at 17.00)
Closed 1 January, 1 May, 25 December
For the test of the year phone the Mairie for information

TARIF
Individuals: adult 5.50€, 12 - 18 yrs 4.50€, under 12 yrs 3€
Groups: schools 3€ per child, 4.40€ per adult, (paid for together by one person)


Musée d'Artagnan,
Chapelle Notre Dame,
32290 LUPIAC

Tel: +33(0)5 62 09 24 09
E-mail: museedartagnan@wanadoo.fr

OTHER HERITAGE

croix du moulin
THE WINDMILL CROSS

In 1812, under the administration of Lupiac's priest GELAS, a “mission*” was organised. For a week the priests of SARAMON, MM. BLAGNAC and BOYER were the preachers.
In memory of this mission M. Mathieu LABRIC financed this cross of carved stone, installed beside of the windmill at the end of the Faubourg Saint Jacques.
croix de l'église
THE CHURCH CROSS

In 1826, under the administration of Lupiac's priest, Gélas, a “mission*” was organised. For a week the abbé Dupin and MM. Cluzet, Dubosc and Mothe were the preachers. Mme de Lavardac, widow Pome wishing to put form to the teaching given during this mission, offered this cross.
It was M.Bugat, blacksmith in Lupiac, who was given the commission. The cross shows the symbols of the Crucifixion and the Descent from the Cross: the hammer, the nail, the pincers, the crown of thorns, the cock (symbol of the denial of Peter) and the ladder for the descent of Christ from the Cross.

*After the revolution other missions were organised, remarkable sermons by specialised ecclesiastics: the missionaries. The mission was a pastoral act, essential for the reconquest and affirmation of a renewing Catholic church.
croix du moulin
THE CHAPEL OF PUJOS

Ste Madeleine church, built on a small tumulus near the ancient chateau of Pujos, is ancient but the exact dates of its construction are unknown; it has a flat chevet. To the north one can see a loophole window (now blocked up) which may have been one of several. The right nave is of recent construction, there are funerary flagstones of the Pardheillan family. A modern gothic porch shelters a rustic porch.
Chapelle Cahuzères
THE CHAPEL OF CAHUZERES

St Andrew's church is a prime example of small rural churches; raised on a knoll, it is partly constructed in raw brick. It shows the attachment of the population of this hamlet to its church, where funerals still take place. A painting of Christ on the Cross with St Francis seated and the ~Virgin Mary. A picture of St Andrew.
croix du moulin
THE CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLEMEW in the heart of the village.

It was following the pastoral visit of Monseigneur Lacroix d'Azolette on 4 July 1846 that it was decided to build a new church on the site of the old one that had become too small and was in bad condition.
The architect, sculptor and painter was Mr Duran of Samatan.
The first stone was laid on 29 June 1847 by M de Lamothe d'Izaut, mayor of the commune at the time. Of the ancient church there remains the Gothic doorway on the north of the church.
The 16th century Pieta in lime wood comes from the Chapel St Jacques, presently the reception of the Tourist Office. A church with three naves, interesting because of its architecture, its triumphal arch and the decoration of its sanctuary.
Stained glass representing St Andrew, St Bartholemew, St Orens and St Michael.
Notice the bell tower in beautiful Angouleme stone.